Wednesday, 6 August 2008

Nourishment

Over the last two days I've been so engrossed in work that I forgot to drink water. My mother's comment was: "How can anyone forget to drink water?"

"I can."

"Well, it's your body, you can do what you want with it."

Actually, that's not strictly true; I did have a bowl of Weetabix (cereal) and some milk for dinner. Since milk has water, that must count for something.

In my late teens, I used to forget to eat at weekends. The friends I used to hang around with at the time would say: "How can you forget to eat? Don't you know how harmful it is to go without food?"

It felt very natural to me to go for long periods without eating, not because I was deliberately starving myself, but because I was too engrossed in what I was doing to think about food, until we went out for dinner. Eventually, the programme - we need to eat to survive - finally sank in and I followed the crowd, and worried about my food intake.

I now find it very easy to forget to eat or drink when I'm engrossed in doing what I love. Whatever I'm focused on ends up nourishing me.

Love is my nourishment.

Enocia

Related articles: Water, Water Everywhere But Not a Drop to Drink; Living on Love; Do Food Supplements and Diets Work?; The Lost Art of Forgetting