Monday, 14 July 2008

Supermarket Sweep

My mother asked me to do some shopping at the supermarket on the way home. When I arrived at the supermarket I noted it wasn't crowded. At least I can relax and shop at my leisure. Then I heard a supermarket staff remnding customers that it was now 9.45 pm and that the store would be closing in 15 minutes.

Fifteen minutes? Damn! I didn't realise it was that late! I need to get my skates on.

I felt like I was a contestant on the TV gameshow, Dale's Supermarket Sweep, where contestants are given a set amount of time to look for various items and the one with the most amount of money wins. Fortunately, I only had four items on my shopping list. I raced round the aisles to look for them.

The one that was tricky was a particular brand of Tonic Water that my mother uses to mix her fruit concentrate, which I haven't bought at this supermarket before. I searched around where bottles of water were and couldn't find it. I asked a shop assistant and he showed me a pack of 4 standing on a trolley. I told him I only wanted one. I asked him if he knew where the single ones were kept and he said he didn't. I decided to get a bottle of lemonade instead which mum could use to mix her drinks.

Then I raced to the checkout. I queued behind this man who had lots of stuff. It was then I noticed that he had the exact same brand of Tonic Water I had been looking for. I asked him where he got it from and he pointed the way. I raced to the aisle, found the Tonic Water and put back the lemonade. Phew!

As I was walking out of the supermarket, I heard an announcement that customers had 5 more minutes until the shop closed for the evening. Not bad at all. Do I win the star prize or what?

It's amazing how much one can achieve when you don't have time to mess about.

"Next time you're at the checkout and you hear the beep - think of the fun you could be having on Supermarket Sweep!"

Enocia

Related articles: Flying by the Seat of Your Pants; It's a Sign!; Slow Boat to China