Monday, 28 July 2008

More about Gifts of Love

I believe the Universe wants me to be happy. This means being true to myself and loving what I love. I also believe every moment is an opportunity to give, receive or share gifts of love.

As I was sweeping outside and putting the rubbish out, a man stopped by. He said he was looking for my mother. I told him she was out. He said he usually speaks to her about the Bible. He handed me a leaflet which I presumed was for my mother. I realised he was the Jehovah's Witness mum has had discussions with in the past. Although she's told him she's no longer interested and that he's being a "nuisance" he keeps coming back. I told him I would pass on his leaflet.

"It's actually for you," he said.

"Oh thanks, but I'm not really interested in that sort of thing."

"Don't you want to know about the new earth?" he said.

"No," I said.

"Aren't you interested in what God has to say in the Bible about the new earth?"

"Nope."

"Aren't you interested in anything God has to say?"

"I'm interested in what God has to say but what God has to say can be spoken directly to me not through a mediator."

"But in the Acts...."

"Sorry, not interested. Bye!"

I shut the door.

If, as I believe, every encounter is a gift of Love, why would Love send someone to speak to me about a topic I have no interest in? There must be a gift of love that I'm not seeing.

Aha, now I get it!

A few days ago while my mother and I were travelling on the local bus, he said hello to a man who lives in the neighbourhood. I was curious whether he was the Jehovah's Witness who lies locally. I had a feeling he wasn't otherwise she would have said so. I've been wondering what he looks like so I can avoid him in future. Haha! So, in a funny way, the Jehovah's Witness guy was a gift from the Universe in response to my question. He was a perfect demonstration of "ask and you will receive" though his version of truth wasn't my cup of tea.

Later I was inspired to go for a walk at Hampstead Heath. As it was a stiflingly hot day, I wondered whether it was such a good idea. Then I thought, Love who has given me the idea to go for a walk, which I love, will surely create a perfect weather for my walk. That's exactly what happened, at least in my reality it was quite breezy and very cool. I didn't even break a sweat.

As I explored Hampstead Heath, I thought about how the Heath represents how much we are all loved and how our needs are constantly being met. Those who like being in the sun have lots of space to do so; those who like shades have lots of trees to get their shades; those who like hiding in isolated spots can find it; those who even want to swim have swimming pools, there's even a women only pool; and those, like myself, who just want to have a nice walk can enjoy their walk.

On my way back, my last bus seemed to be taking a while to arrive. I had a feeling there was a gift in this delay. A few stops down a woman I see on my travels got on board. A week ago, while I was on another bus, I saw her in another part of town where she works. I remembered admiring her new hairstyle but I couldn't attract her attention at the time. Now I was being given the perfect opportunity to tell her this in person. I told her how much I liked her hair and how much it suited her. We walked part of the way together.

Every moment is an opportunity to love and be loved, as long as you're not a Jehovah's Witness. :-)

Enocia

Related articles: Getting Back in the Zone; The Ten Invitations; The Power of Selfishness; Oh, I Get It!; No Chance!; Admiration; Every Moment is a Gift of Love; Gifts of Love